Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Why this has been d gr8st Sumer ever LOLZ!

Right, well to all two of my loyal fans and devoted readers, I do apologise for the notable absence of overblown, pretentious text that usually replenishes itself every week or so. I've been rather a bit a busy for this whole 'blogging' lark, not to mention, I've been focusing most of my creative energies on more visual endeavours. So yeah, sorry about that, chaps.

In any event, my Torontonian Excursion is very much in full swing and while I would love to say that I will be staying here for another two months or years or decades (the word 'love' not only doesn't how I feel justice, but is criminally inaccurate), sadly this more than likely will not be the case thanks to some idiot deciding millennia ago that you have to have these little bits of paper with pictures on them, in order to live away from home. If anyone would be so kind as to deposit a heft sum of cash (preferably €18 million), I will madly, gladly, definitely stay. For realz.

Anyway, rather than being melancholy about all of this, I have decided to take a quick look back on all of the awesome that happened this Summer in Canada; most of which I didn't have the luxury of being able to record as part of CanadaQuest.

First of all, there was the riots and the earthquake, which were surreal and unforgettable. Most of what I managed to film of the riots was interesting, but unremarkable. Most of what I actually saw will probably stay with me for life. I've mentioned time and time again that most of the people that were shown in newspaper pictures the next day as being beaten or distressed by the G20 "Peace Officers" bloody well had it coming. For example, this guy:


...who was seen by my friends and I drunkenly stumbling through the streets, shouting incoherent nonsense and (at one point) hanging from a telephone cable while his loyal (similarly intoxicated followers) cheered in adulation. What's this got to do with protesting?

Anyway, another great thing that happened was when my friend Parker and I went to see Scott Pilgrim vs The World and we were able to spot him as an extra in one of the gig/battle scenes (Scott-vs-The Kayatanagi Bros.). Watch the movie with me and I can point him out to you. We saw Inception very soon after its opening and it blew all of our minds and is Master and Commander of the Universe.

Other fun stuff includes me finding basically every random worthless comic and similar literature I've ever, ever wanted for next to nothing in various locations throughout the city, most notably The Silver Snail. At this rate, I actually avoid the place because I know that if I go in, I'm just going to find some reason to spend loads of money. Then just last week, I was walking outside of it and I saw an ad for Fan Expo 2010 which I will be attending throughout this weekend. Guests include Stan Lee, Adam West...and William Shatner. You all know how badly I have to go to this.



Tomorrow Donal, Parker and I head to Niagara Falls where we will recreate movie scenes set there nerdishly, and hopefully get married on the Maid of the Mist.

(That last part probably won't happen)

At this point in time, there isn't really all that many complaints I can make about this place. I love my job, the weather is great, there's so many things to do and I don't miss home for a second. The only real complaint I have is that Canadian mobile phone providers are a bunch of thieving scoundrels. I've spent well over $100 on credit here, where at home I would barely have spent $15. That's the only thing I actually miss about home. Also I bought a bunch of cup noodle-type things the other day and they are atrocious and nigh inedible. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I miss Koka Noodles.

Other than that, though, it's been pretty damn good so far. Here's to smooth sailing from here on out.

No comments:

Post a Comment