Thursday, September 16, 2010

A Canadian Overview: The Prodigal Gothamite Returns

So my Canadian exile has come to a close and I find myself back on Irish shores. The experience was thoroughly notable in that I laughed, I cried, I yelled, I sighed, I worked, I lazed, I drank, I ate, I drank some more and I even managed to fall in love a little bit.



But, as Captain Picard once said, all good things must come to an end and such was the nature of my excursion. For reasons monetary and academic, I found myself having to wave goodbye to the sleek city pastures (heh) of Toronto, its well laid out city streets, its curious architecture, its peoples, foods and customs and finally, the friends I made and lost in the time I spent there.

The trip was certainly the greatest experience I have had the pleasure of enjoying in my life thus far. I managed to learn quite a bit about myself where my various personality traits and disorders are concerned and I'm confident that I'm going to be able to make a few necessary changes in the way I look at and act in life.

But it wasn't all just about deep, internal reflection.

I'm going to miss the fuck out of Tim Horton's, Cora Pizza, The 88, street Hot Dogs and the various beers I became accustomed to during the many reckless, feckless, drunken nights I spent wandering the streets with my compadres and associates. As much as I love the fair city in which I grew up, we are a little bit culturally inept when it comes to quality food and drink at discount prices. It's either McDonalds or Luigi Malones. It's either Dutch Gold or €300 champagne. Perhaps I'm exaggerating, but there's very little in the way of affordably decent refreshments in our once-economically bloated burg. It also pisses me off that donuts just don't really exist here, except for those ones you get in the supermarket, which while nice, are not really the same thing.



You may be wondering about CanadaQuest (one of the big surprises of the Summer was finding out how many people actually watch it or have at least seen one or two episodes of it). The fact of the matter is I still have a mess of footage from Niagara Falls, Fan Expo (a comic book convention I found myself attending), and various days of hanging out in my cousins' house and Parker's humble abode. There is at least two episodes worth of footage still lurking around on my hard-drive and I can assure you that before the Summer is out, they will exist as episodes, in some form or another. I was delighted with how that whole thing worked out, even if it is a bit cheesy. Even now, watching some of the older ones brings me right back to when I filmed them and I'm hoping they'll serve as time capsules for years to come.



So to all of you who followed my adventures through YouTube, Facebook and even here (on the odd occasion when I decided to write anything) I thank you for making the journey even more memorable. Let's just hope I can find my way back there, someday.

2 comments:

  1. If you need your ex-girlfriend or ex-boyfriend to come crawling back to you on their knees (even if they're dating somebody else now) you gotta watch this video
    right away...

    (VIDEO) Win your ex back with TEXT messages?

    ReplyDelete